Friday, January 6, 2012

Have You Set Your Goals for 2012?!
http://ping.fm/4JDIK
Have You Set Your Goals for 2012?!

Have you set your goals for 2012? What are you waiting for?

Do you realize that if you do not set S.M.A.R.T. Goals for each year or each objective- the chances of you actually following through and achieving those goals are not good! What does S.M.A.R.T. mean?
SMART Goals at Americas Best Martial Arts Bradenton SarasotaS – Specific
M – Measurable
A – Attainable
R – Relevant
T – Time-Bound

S – Specific – Goals must be specific enough that you can determine exactly what the goal is… for example: if I want to achieve my Black Belt, I must set the goal as specific as possible. “I will achieve my 1st Degree Black Belt on August 15, 2014.” Most people are not that specific in their goal setting. They will just say: “I want to be a Black Belt.” See the difference? The first example is a Specific goal, the second is just a dream…

M – Measurable – Measurable goals must have dates or steps that can be monitored or measured along the way to track progress. This is seen with 2 examples: “I will acheive my 1st Degree Black Belt on August 15, 2014.” There will be smaller steps within this goal that will allow you to measure progress. If you are a Yellow Belt currently and set the goal to achieve your Black Belt by August 15, 2014.. then you would set intermediate goals such as, I will earn my Orange Belt by February 15, 2012. I will achieve my Green Belt by May 15, 2012 and so on.

A – Attainable – Attainable goals are goals that you have the capability to achieve in the time frame that you specified. The question is, to keep on the same subject and examples as above, do I have the desire, motivation, physical and mental capability to achieve the goal: “I will acheive my 1st Degree Black Belt on August 15, 2014.” In reality – of course you do! Everyone has the capability IF they will set the SMART goal and follow through with that goal. Only you can answer this question and actually make it happen! Remember: there is no “CAN’T” in our vocabulary!

R- Relevant - some times people will make goals that are simply not relevant to them. For example, if I had used the statement: I will buy a new video game on August 15, 2012 – and yet I don’t play video games and don’t even like video games, is this a Relevant goal to me? Of course not! Make sure that you use a Relevant approach when you set your goals and set a goal that is “relevant” to you and things that you really want to achieve. If you start with a non-relevant goal in the first place, then it’s not worth setting because you will not achieve it… again, it’s only a statement, not a SMART GOAL.

T – Time-Bound - the goal must be time-bound. In other words, you must have a due date or specific time/date to achieve your goal. “I will achieve my 1st Degree Black Belt on August 15, 2014.” is a time-bound goal. You will be able to track your progress with specific dates – including the sub-steps to the larger goal (Orange Belt, Green Belt, etc).

Here is a terrific Goal Setting worksheet for you to download and complete. It uses the examples above, but can be modified for any of yours goals in life!

Goal Setting Worksheet for Americas Best Martial Arts Bradenton Sarasota Lakewood Ranch

Earn a stripe to start 2012 right!

Complete your Goal Setting worksheet in relation to achieving your Black Belt at Americas Best Martial Arts and get a Stripe – offer only good for the 1st week of January 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment